Avoiding a Microsoft FrontPage Error Message with Windows
Provided by: FMS Marketing Team
On occasion, while using Microsoft FrontPage this error message appears:
An error occurred accessing your Windows SharePoint Services files. Authors
– if authoring against a Web Server, please contact the Webmaster for the
server’s Web site. Webmasters – please see the server’s application event
log for more details.
This can be particularly confusing if you're not even using SharePoint.
While this message varies in frequency of appearance, it can be very
It can appear when accessing a folder or file for the first time in a
session, and when publishing to a remote server.
The most well known solution, which is a cumbersome and largely
ineffective one, is to re-install the server. Don't do that!
Fortunately, there is a far simpler process which nearly always remedies
the situation. By following these steps, almost all instances of this error
This simple work around resolves and eliminates the
error message and allows you to work in FrontPage
- Open your copy of Internet Explorer
- In the menu bar, select Tools > Internet Options > Advanced
- Scroll approximately half way down to HTTP 1.1 settings
- Unselect all “HTTP 1.1 settings”
- Return to the General tab, delete cookies, delete internet files,
both on and off line, and clear the history
Return to the tips page